Emergency Dentistry for Selinsgrove-Area Patients
Whether your child has had a tooth knocked out during a sports practice or you’ve managed to chip a tooth while biting down hard on something, dental emergencies can happen when you least expect them. Valley Dental Group provides emergency dentistry services for our Selinsgrove-area patients. Some injuries will require immediate treatment in order to save your tooth, while others may be able to wait a little longer. We try to keep our schedule flexible enough to accommodate emergencies, and we also have an after-hours answering service our patients may call to determine their best course of action in an emergency situation.
Some of the Common Dental Emergencies We Treat
No matter what type of dental emergency you’re dealing with, the most important thing to remember is to remain calm and not to panic. Here are some of the most common dental emergencies we treat and some general guidelines on how to deal with them:
- Toothaches – Toothaches may vary in severity, but you should seek treatment, as they often indicate bigger dental concerns on the horizon such as an abscessed tooth.
- Broken Jaw – You may apply ice or a cold compress to help alleviate the pain and swelling. However, you’ll need to see your dentist or an emergency center right away.
- Knocked-Out Tooth – If your tooth has been knocked out, gently try to reinsert it back into its socket if possible. If it’s dirty, you may gently rinse it but try not to scrub it or remove any of the attached tissues that may be present. If you can’t gently reinsert it, you may hold it under your tongue or keep it moist in a glass of milk (don’t use tap water, as it can damage the root cells). Immediately call your dentist – you’re more likely to save the tooth if you can be seen in 60 minutes or less.
- Bitten Tongue – You may clean the area using a wet cloth and apply a cold compress to help reduce the swelling. If you’re bleeding excessively, visit your closest emergency center or your dentist immediately.
- Broken or Chipped Tooth – You may rinse your mouth using warm water and apply a cold compress to reduce swelling. You should wrap up your tooth or tooth fragments in wet gauze or a wet towel and plan to visit your dentist immediately.
Contact Us Immediately for Emergency Dental Care
Valley Dental Group P.C. provides emergency dentistry services for patients of record – be sure to check our after-hours answering service for more information. Should you ever require emergency dental care in the Selinsgrove area, please contact us immediately and we’ll do our best to accommodate you.